[Gnumed-devel] Re: Really Dumb Question

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Really Dumb Question
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:04:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Yes. This is because they provide binary only drivers. Such
> ugly things only work with a few specific kernel releases.
> That's why they wrote a wrapper that on the one end speaks the
> API of *this* binary driver version and on the other end
> figures out the API of the kernel in question at compile time.
> And compile time is when the abovementioned script is run on
> your machine effectively interfacing the binary driver to your
> kernel.
In other words: Just buy an alternative graphics card (if you have
the choice).  The only argument for NVidia might be 3D-Performance.
For our applications might be 2D quality relevant and this is done
best by Matrox cards: Believe it or not I have better quality
output with the very same monitor since I use Matrox G550.  It
has an extra plus because it is silent (because it does not need
a fan).

Kind regards

         Andreas.