Re: [Gnumed-devel] Plan (was: Umbrello)

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Plan (was: Umbrello)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:00:11 +1000

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:53:58 +1000
Horst Herb <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please, everybody start familiarizing with UML and Umbrello. Not a must yet,
> but a nice option for the future.
Apropos of UML, I have had an interesting conversation with the RMIT stundents
and
John Mackenzie today. Alan commented, correctly I believe, that lack of good
design
documentation is responsible for gnumed's slowness over the past 18/12.
[additionally is, of course, lack of programmer time, and that much of Karsten
& Syan's effort is
not visible to the end-user, but is important "infrastructure" work]

Nevertheless we have not advanced as far as I had expected around the time of
the previous conference
John identified several core features that would allow gnumed to be used under
controlled circumstances
for patient care by Australian GPs. This breaks an important psychological
barrier, not
only for developers, but in dealing with the various powers-that-be  that may
be willing to help us.

To wit:
        -  prescription, using the PBS data we have
        -  referral letters
        -  past history/problem list
        - importing and displaying path results (Horst, do you have specs for
the path. files ?? "PIT" format. Can you post them to the Web?)

Interestingly clinical notes aren't on that list, as many "computerised"
practices still use paper notes, but we might as well have it as a 'core'
functiom,
as, in any case, Karsten has done 90% of the work on this already.

Can we commit to these modules as the next step to move forward? I would like
to draw up a basic design document before the conference covering
these areas.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E