[Gnumed-devel] LDAP vs. SQL

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] LDAP vs. SQL
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:16:28 +1000

It has occurred to me that we need a contacts database for referrals/requests.
Should we:
        a/ use LDAP
        b/ "roll our own" in postgresql, as another service

advantages of ldap:
        - can scale, divisional servers, share with local hospitals, etc.
        - existing standard
        - interoperates with e-mail clients etc. etc.
disadvantages
        - another dependency, server configuration
        - limited features: a simple "flat" addressbook, limited ability to
group people by location as Richard's contacts widget implies
(Richard, could you elaborate on this)

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E