Re: [Gnumed-devel] LDAP vs. SQL

From: ju0815nk
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LDAP vs. SQL
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:38:26 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Have an XML-RPC server "contacts". This server spans possibly
> several sources: a) The service "administration" which includes
>c) Access to online, remote, official repositories (these are most likely
> going to be LDAP or PKI key server type things).

I'm a liitle bit confused about the role/meaning of "service" in gnumed.  I
always thought that it
should represent something like a named gateway to functional defined part
of the backend. In the bootstrap-scripts
 it as a part or whole of a particular database.
Now, with XML-RPC servers and different data sources for just one group of
data (contacts, drug-DB etc.) there seem to
be different possible paths to the data:
client -> one or more service(s) -> backend (postgres database)
client -> XML-RPC-> one or more external data sources
client -> XML-RPC-> one or more remote gnumed service(s) -> backend

is the following possible ?

client -> service -> one or more databases
client -> service -> XML-RPC and/or one or more databases

One reason for this question is the need to choose between different drug
databases at runtime. This is currently only possible if one
defines one service for every database or if the databases are combined in
one database. Good enough for now but not for the future.

Hilmar