Re: [Gnumed-devel] Move to Qt (was: Conference)

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Move to Qt (was: Conference)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:53:52 +1000

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:17:52 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> *Can* stay ?!?  What the heck do you mean ? First, we always
> had the notion of having multiple clients. Second, it will
> stay all by itself and does not need our approval for doing
> so.
Of course, a poor choice of words on my part.

> Uhm, ah, I wonder what part of that zero functionality my
> parents are using daily in their practice. I seem them using
> it, anyways. Must be that they have too much time on their
> hands and just diddle around with empty controls.
[embarrassed silence]

Point taken, sorry for ignoring this.

I am assuming you mean the object viewer.
(is their anything else I have missed?)

"Zero functionality" refers to Richard's GUI code, which remains
empty, this goes back to the problem of a split design philosophy, in
that functionality has been developed completely in parallel.

In this case, forking the client is really recognising
a situation that has existed from the start.
A separate client over which Richard has overall design control will
allow him to develop a lot faster, then, once functional,
ideas/code/etc. can be merged as appropriate.

Ian