[Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:23:47 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Hilmar Berger wrote:

> >From what I could find on the net debconf seems to be very Debian-specific,
> that is, it will almost
> impossible to install/use debconf-aware scripts with a different package
> manager.
For sure.  I was just talking about what I want to do for the Debian packages.

> While I can see the benefits of a well done Debian package that might do a
> almost complete installation and configuration, I'm somewhat concerned that
> this will mean that we will have to either write these installation scripts
> for
> each major distribution from the scratch or let non-Debian users do a
> installation by hand. My idea is that it would be easier to let the package
> installer just do the work that can be solved without (much) user
> interaction. Once
> the packages are installed we could fire up a installer with whatever user
> interface that runs on a large number of distributions (console, wxWindows).
> The code of this installer would just depend on the same packages as the
> gnumed client (for server only installs, we could have a console installer).
Perhaps I was missing the begin of the thread. What I wrote was not intended
to be an universal solution and I doubt that such a solution will be easy to
implement because it might require some reconfiguration of PostgreSQL etc.
But (hopefully) I might be wrong here ...

Kind regards

          Andreas.