[Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:44:14 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> > The installer should only check if everthing went right (just in case
> > someone installed the packages by hand).
> > Then the installer should provide a way to comfortably configure and
> > install client
> For the client I do not see the need for a graphical installer. Once the rpms
> are installed, the client can be fired up without the need to configure
> anything. All you need can be entered into the login-dialog.
Hmmm, this might be the case but my plan is to prepare all stuff for the
client by the administrator because there might be users who have no
idea about servers etc.

> > and/or server.
> Now this is a different story. One could decide to hide bootstrap behind some
> nice gui. I think GNUmed (server) should not be setup by anyone who does not
> understand enough of what is going on. This is the duty of skilled IT/IS
> personel. I don't think GNUmed's objective should be to get rid of
> IT-personel.
You are right but even qualified persons can save some time of the right
questions are asked at the right time and take over the job of editing
stuff manually later on.

> I wish you were right. I use apt4rpm which takes care of dependencies the way
> apt does but because of that I was provided with a broken rpm.
Perhaps this way is broken at design.  I've heard rumors about different RPMs
which are designed for different RPM based distributions and might conflict
with installations on other RPM-based distributions.  Distributors of RPM
based distributions do not care about a common policy as Debian does and that
may be a reason why apt4rpm is not as robust as apt-get might be (if you
stick to *official* Debian packages).

> Please elucidate what exactly we want the installer (gui/console) to do.
Regarding to the Debian packages my intention is to make the installation as
smooth and clean as Debian standards imply.  (That's one of the reasons why
I'm cautious with apt-get - able packages or even an upload to the official
Debian mirror.)

Kind regards

          Andreas.