Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:09:53 +1100

At the risk of starting a flame war, and please when reading this all remember
I am in no way putting anyone down!

James , I agree wholeheartedly with your comments! I've installed it many
times on number of distro's and always got stuck at some point.

The roadmap-sequence-plan is a constant thorn, and characteristic of open
source. The problem I think with this project is that we have never reached a
common agreement of the path forward, and I hope that doesn't mean that
gnumed will eventually fail.

For example I spent many months doing the gui-prototype, and documentation
(its tucked away somewhere, Karsten will know the URL), based on my excellent
vb client (see www.gnumed.net/rterry/Index.htm (with capital I in Index) in
case you've missed the philosophy and gui's of the vb client. The program was
demonstrated live at the sydney gnumed conference and usually blows away
people because of its breathtaking simplicity and power and speed (runs as
quick on a pentium 266 as it does on modern machines!). Though I wrote the
guts in 1995 (script) and the rest in 1997 it is still light years ahead of
anything I've ever seen.

Its success in practice was a combination of the gui with a functional
philosophy and automatation. The code was crap as I'm not a programmer.

Despite this, I've not been able to  pursuade the code writers to stick to its
features, as, I suspect, because they have not used it in clinical practice,
they have not experienced how it flows, and often think some features are not
necessary or should be done differently, whereas since I've developed and
used it, I usually went through the iterations they now are putting in place
and found they just didn't function optimally, so I advanced the design.

This illustrates, I guess, a lack of structure where one person gets the
ultimate say on functionality and features, and others code it. What happens
is that the main coders (Karsten and Ian) change the gui to suit what they
think would be better - please no flame wars - I'm not a coder at all and
don't profess to be). Personally I still think wxPython sucks as a gui
interface compared to QT which was my personal preference, where the vb
client could have been reproduced in its entireity and hence in all its
funcitonality.

I think we lack a co-ordinator who can visualise the grand plan and allocate
coding of each section to whovever and overview and have a final say on the
result. I'm aware those of you with computer degrees/commercial experience
think I'm wrong in this as we have had the conversation already.

I've seen many people who obviously wanted to help come and go over the last
couple of years,  (eg people really interested in HL7, pathology downloading
etc) and I don't blame them because there was no structure for them to become
involved, but it is a sad loss of talent.

I would probably be the best beta-alpha tester because I know how the gui is
meant to function, as I use it every single day and have years and years of
data and experience using it, yet I've not been involved with this. When I do
try out the latest interaction and post comments as a result I don't get far
so I give up. There isn't any mechanism in place to incrementally improve
after I comment.

I don't pretend to understand the under the hood design/database etc, but I do
intimatley know how it should work. What interests me is, that If you look at
the vb screen dumps and functional descriptions in the *.doc files on the web
(not in my Index.htm), it will immediately be apparent that every single
section of the program is the same in its design and functionality. My vb
coding reflected this, and the same subroutines handled
vaccinations/scripts/pathology requests etc. I'm not sure why this can't be
done in python, but perhaps it is an I'm not aware of it.

Anyway, perhaps this post is not of much use, and hope it hasnt upset anyone
cause no offense is intended. But I find it frustrating and sad to see so
many willing people come, have a look, offer to contribute, and leave without
comment.

Regards

Richard
gui-coordinator/ gui designer (in name)

PS, I'm switching off now so will pick up the flak tomorrow.