Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:52:28 +0100

> basic installer
> just does not cut it. I hate it when I install a program only to find
> out that I am missing some vb-stuff oder the latest MS Windows Scripting host.

> The Windows installer needs to take care of this. The client needs to run
> once it has been installed.

This is a very debatable issue. The installer should provide
profuse hints about what is missing and where it can be gotten
from but should not attempt to install it. That's the road
down to DLL-hell.

> Gnumed is a huge project. There is no way everything can be done quickly.
> What we are lacking right now (my perception) is a coder who reads up on
> Richard's specs, reads the roadmap and connects the GUI to the backend.
> Not more not less. That way one part gets done. But this would ultimately
> lead to the much beloved 0.1 which can actually be distributed.
Wrong,IMHO. 1:1 implementation of Richard space isn't equivalent to
reaching 0.1 at all. While I support following Richard closely
whenever implementing any of the functionality he describes we
don't need many things he describes for 0.1. Nay, we must do
without them for 0.1 if we hope to reach that milestone. OTOH,
if someone codes up that stuff I am the last one blocking it's
entry into 0.1 (barring unacceptable code).

Even now a 0.05 can be set up and distributed if there were
someone to do it: Take the archive and vaccination code, link
it to legacy systems via xDT and there you are with a useful,
working piece of GnuMed.