Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:13:39 +0100 (MET)

Installing on Linux )

Debian packages are already there and can even be checked out via apt-get
<somwhere>
Andreas announced it recently.

Installing on Windows)

I am in the process of writing the installer. It is fairly easy to hack up a
basic installer but
that just does not cut it. I hate it when I install a program only to find
out that I am missing some vb-stuff oder the latest MS Windows Scripting host.

The Windows installer needs to take care of this. The client needs to run
once it has been installed.

Documentation)
Is there a documentation team I am not aware of ?
We have discussed this all before. There is a lot of scattered information
on the web.
Someone needs to sit down and hunt it down. Then we will review and rework
it.

There were some postings from Tilo on this topic. Even a proposed guide on
how to accomplish this is out there. James, since you are a driving force
right now would you mind hacking up a text document naming all ressources on
gnumed you can find. Once we got that we can decide how to merge things.

Thilo suggested to convert some information into pdf-files. I think this
applies especially to Richard's GUI-files. Any takers ?

Sebastian

BTW. The proposed master/slave style of work does not work with
OSS-projects. That is why things slow down once in a while. There is no boss
who decides
we are going to use this or that plugin system for our GUI. This would mean
we need some guy who constantly monitors discussions on all topics and
summarizes any outcome. I do not think this works.

Gnumed is a huge project. There is no way everything can be done quickly.
What we are lacking right now (my perception) is a coder who reads up on
Richard's specs, reads the roadmap and connects the GUI to the backend. Not more
not less. That way one part gets done. But this would ultimately lead to the
much beloved 0.1 which can actually be distributed.

*
* help solving the protein folding problem
foldingathome.stanford.edu
*
* sign the linux driver petion :
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html