Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:16:40 -0800

More than one person --- me included --- have found gnumed a challenge to install. Though I figure I am an 'advanced novice', I and others would like to make installation easier through some combination of improved web site materials including FAQs, cvs tidying, and (if applicable) the code base.

I looked to gnumed.org at the previous version of what was given as the "cvs link" and it occurred to me that in addition to making the installation manual available as _part_ of the CVS, it might be helpful to point people to the installation pages, so they can be read via browser IN PREPARATION FOR cvs checkout.

The following questions are addressed mainly to those who found it difficult to install and to use gnumed, and either gave up, or who managed it only after some difficulty.

Could people offer their experiences and ideas on the main problem areas and possible improvements:
- Do we need more / better information at gnumed.org. What kind?
- Do the installation manual pages need to be improved? In what way(s)
- Is it the "using" part that is hard to figure out?

Are there people on the list who would be able to help with code-writing, but who have held back because - they had trouble getting a sense of the roadmap, sequence, plan of development etc. - they were not sure which individual(s) to approach about a particular area, or how to collaborate with said people?