Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:50:57 +1100

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:09, Richard Terry wrote:
> Despite this, I've not been able to  pursuade the code writers to stick to
> its features, as, I suspect, because they have not used it in clinical
> practice, they have not experienced how it flows, and often think some
> features are not necessary or should be done differently, whereas since
> I've developed and used it, I usually went through the iterations they now
> are putting in place and found they just didn't function optimally, so I
> advanced the design.

Yes, your design is slick, and is proven to work - for your workflow. It may
also work within your Division, since they are all urban GPs.

However, it does not fit my workflow; I need it as much for documentation of
my procedural work as well as my role in emergency medicine (local A&E VMO)
and my general practice. For each role, I require different user interfaces.
For participation in some studies, I require yet more user interfaces. I also
require different levels of documentation for medicolegal purposes.
Hence the original modular design with plug-ins.

This was stuffed up with multiple different layout managers and hard-coded
interaction between GUI modules instead of sticking to the original simple
architecture, but apparently the majority wanted it that way and agrees with
your concepts mre than with mine, so I did not object.

I have quietly started writing my own GUI to fit my own needs, and I will be
damned if I release it before it is functional enough to be tested in real
life in my own practice, otherwise the same back-and-forth mambo jambo starts
again.

I look forward to see a variety of functional user interfaces to a common
backend, one ofthem being your design, which probably will be preferred by
the majority of urban GPs.

Horst