Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:47:34 -0500

Ian Haywood wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:09:36 +0100
Hilmar Berger <address@hidden> wrote:

Sebastian Hilbert schrieb:

I am working on an graphical Windows installer once again.
This is just to let you know to avoid duplicate effort.
I would suggest to a) choose a modular approach (one module = one task) and b) use python scripts once python is installed (which would mean that you have to install python at the very beginning). This has the advantage that one could re-use modules in a Unix/Max environment.
I'm not sure why Hilmar mentioned "install python at the very beginning". Why is gnumed even concerned with installing python? The gnumed install should not work if python is not installed/detected.

Problem is, to be graphical and portable, you need wxPython also so
sizewise 90% of the install is already done. ;-)

Unfortunately, a Windows-native installer is required for this inital part. I
would
recommend the NSIS installer which is totally scriptable and can execute other
programs
(such as Python scripts) for the final configuration steps.
I agree NSIS is good. But I think most of the work should be done by distutils and NSIS should just call "python setup.py" or whatever. I'm not an expert on this BTW.

I assume you are just writing an installer for the client only. For the server,
users need
Cygwin, which has its own (pretty good IMHO) installer and package system, I
suggest we
just write a 'gnumed' package for that system.

One final suggestion: don't use environment variables such as PYTHONPATH to
tell gnumed where
to find modules.
I don't get this. All modules (like wxPython) should be in site-packages, so any python program should find them fine.

Windows has a 128-byte limit on the size of the environment (same as CP/M). Use the Windows registry, or write the gnumed.py script at install-time from a template with the correct paths embedded.
Ian