Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:15:49 +1100

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:09:36 +0100
Hilmar Berger <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sebastian Hilbert schrieb:
>
> > I am working on an graphical Windows installer once again.
> > This is just to let you know to avoid duplicate effort.
>
> I would suggest to a) choose a modular approach (one module = one task)
> and b)
> use python scripts once python is installed (which would mean that you
> have to install python at the very beginning). This has the advantage
> that one could re-use modules in a Unix/Max environment.
Problem is, to be graphical and portable, you need wxPython also so
sizewise 90% of the install is already done. ;-)

Unfortunately, a Windows-native installer is required for this inital part. I
would
recommend the NSIS installer which is totally scriptable and can execute other
programs
(such as Python scripts) for the final configuration steps.

I assume you are just writing an installer for the client only. For the server,
users need
Cygwin, which has its own (pretty good IMHO) installer and package system, I
suggest we
just write a 'gnumed' package for that system.

One final suggestion: don't use environment variables such as PYTHONPATH to
tell gnumed where
to find modules. Windows has a 128-byte limit on the size of the environment
(same as CP/M).
Use the Windows registry, or write the gnumed.py script at install-time
from a template with the correct paths embedded.

Ian
PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E