Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:22:39 -0500

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

GnuMed is not a python package.

Python distutils is intended for installing python packages
(no ?).

When looking at the gnumed prerequisites, I don't see any of them being anywhere except for in site-packages. So python finds them fine.
The OP was probably also talking about GnuMed "modules" as in,
say .../client/python-common/
gnumed should find these no problem as long as there are in the path, so you could do

from gnumed.client.python-common import something
I am not so sure the GnuMed modules should live in
site-packages/ (or should they ?).

All I know is that all the standalone python applications on my linux box are installed to site-packages. I verified this by doing "locate py". Most of the stuff in my site-packages are just modules. The two standalone apps I could think of were eric3 and boa. Both of these are in /usr/lib/python-2.3/site-packages/eric3 and /usr/lib/python-2.3/site-packages/boa respectively, and they have have an executable 1-2 line script in /usr/bin

Eric3's is:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/eric3/eric3.py $*

boa's is:
#!/bin/sh
# This is a bit of a kludge, but works.
# If anyone can think of a better way to start Boa, feel free to
# modify.
pv=`python -V 2>&1 | sed -e 's:Python \([0-9].[0-9]\).*:\1:'`
cd /usr/lib/python"${pv}"/site-packages/boa
exec /usr/bin/python Boa.pyc

I envision something similar for gnumed, like having a gnumed client in site-packages/gnumed (which is what we now call "client"), a gnumed.py file in there, and whatever subdirectories are needed like wxpython, business, python-common. In /usr/bin/ and script should be installed called gnumed (or gnumed-client), and that just calls "python /usr/lib/2.3/site-packages/gnumed/gnumed.py".

David

--
David J. Grant
M.A.Sc. Candidate in Electrical Engineering