Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:00:11 +0100

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:49:50 +0100
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> > >I am not so sure the GnuMed modules should live in
> > >site-packages/ (or should they ?).
IMHO no.

Last time I upgraded python2.2 to python2.3 *all* packages in site-packages/
had to be installed again (site-packages is version-specific). IMO installing
everything in python/x.x/site-specific is not the way choosen for other
languages (did you install all shell scripts in lib/sh ? all perl-programs in
share/perl/whatever ? all C-source-code  / binaries under lib/gcc ?). The only
way I could think of is that one separates generally useful modules and
installs those in python/x.x/site-specific/gnumed . There are a lot of files,
however, that should not stored there as they have almost no relationship to
python, but only to gnumed  (data files, server-related files, config files,
gnumed startup script). These should live somewhere else (i.e. in a place
according to linux file system standard).

Hilmar