Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:56:49 +0100

>>ACK. However, "GnuMed" is not a "Python program". It is an
>>application package consisting of - among other things -
>>Python scripts. python setup.py isn't suitable.
> Please elaborate.  I looked at the source and it looks like there are a
> bunch of python scripts which talk to the database on the server side,
> and the current client seems to be the python/wxPython one.  What else
> is in there, which isn't Python?  I think usually this is still easily
> handled by the main setup.py script, if there are other binaries or
> files to be installed.
There are shell scripts (wrappers) and data files (i18n).
There are also log file locations (/var/log/gnumed/) and
config file locations (/etc/gnumed/) to be set up. Also, some
structure (~/gnumed/) in users' home directories (eg. add it
to /etc/skel/) is needed.

>>>I don't get this.  All modules (like wxPython) should be in
>>>site-packages, so any python program should find them fine.
>>ACK.
> When looking at the gnumed prerequisites, I don't see any of them being
> anywhere except for in site-packages.  So python finds them fine.
The OP was probably also talking about GnuMed "modules" as in,
say .../client/python-common/