Re: [Gnumed-devel] first crack at distutils setup.py

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] first crack at distutils setup.py
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:12:10 -0500

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

This works to install, but it won't run: gnumed can't find the modules under /lib/python2.3/site-packages, to use this all the gnumed source files need to change their import commands as you said. Volunteers?
We'd have to change the CVS directory layout first so that the
code will still run from the repository.

I think a script like this would work for me:

PYTHONPATH=/home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed
/home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxwindows/gnumed.py

would work for me. All it's doing is compensating for the fact that it isn't installed in site-package.

The only annoying thing is that "client" is the base package name. I'd rather have the name gnumed-client. Or I can make the "gnumed" directory a package. But then we'd always have to be importing gnumed.client.business.<modulename> or something like that. Actually I kind of like that. And there are some python modules outside of client, which maybe are useful as well.... I makes sense to have the base package called gnumed too doesn't it? I'll make the fixes tonight. The script would change to:

PYTHONPATH=/home/david/cvs/gnumed
/home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxwindows/gnumed.py

All imports would start from gnumed.something.something, instead of client.something.something.....
David