Re: [Gnumed-devel] first crack at distutils setup.py

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] first crack at distutils setup.py
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:58:23 +0100

> I think a script like this would work for me:
>
> PYTHONPATH=/home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed
No. PYTHONPATH may already contain pathes so you need to *add*
to them.

> /home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxwindows/gnumed.py
wxPython, client/wxwindows would be a C / C++ client

> The only annoying thing is that "client" is the base package name.  I'd
> rather have the name gnumed-client.  Or I can make the "gnumed"
> directory a package.  But then we'd always have to be importing
> gnumed.client.business.<modulename> or something like that.  Actually I
> kind of like that.  And there are some python modules outside of client,
> which maybe are useful as well.... I makes sense to have the base
> package called gnumed too doesn't it?  I'll make the fixes tonight.
> The script would change to:
>
> PYTHONPATH=/home/david/cvs/gnumed
> /home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxwindows/gnumed.py
>
> All imports would start from gnumed.something.something, instead of
> client.something.something.....

This sounds premature to me and needs more though. IMO, before
changing the way we use import we better think twice about our
directory layout and fix that first. Let's cool our temper
before attempting to do such changes.