Re: [Gnumed-devel] first crack at distutils setup.py

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] first crack at distutils setup.py
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:24:22 -0500

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I think a script like this would work for me:

PYTHONPATH=/home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed
No. PYTHONPATH may already contain pathes so you need to *add*
to them.

Oops, yeah you're right.  PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/home/david/cvs/gnumed

/home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxwindows/gnumed.py
wxPython, client/wxwindows would be a C / C++ client
oops again!

The only annoying thing is that "client" is the base package name. I'd rather have the name gnumed-client. Or I can make the "gnumed" directory a package. But then we'd always have to be importing gnumed.client.business.<modulename> or something like that. Actually I kind of like that. And there are some python modules outside of client, which maybe are useful as well.... I makes sense to have the base package called gnumed too doesn't it? I'll make the fixes tonight. The script would change to:

PYTHONPATH=/home/david/cvs/gnumed
/home/david/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxwindows/gnumed.py

All imports would start from gnumed.something.something, instead of client.something.something.....

This sounds premature to me and needs more though. IMO, before
changing the way we use import we better think twice about our
directory layout and fix that first. Let's cool our temper
before attempting to do such changes.
Anything else you can suggest for directory layout would be cool. You guys know best for that since you know the code best.

I don't have any problems with directory layout from my very surface-level point of view. The only thing I would change would be maybe the names of the directories "business", "wxpython", and "python-common" to something more clear.

David