Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packages

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packages
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:54:07 -0500

Ian Haywood wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0500
David Grant <address@hidden> wrote:

I agree with everything except:

1. Basically for the purpose of getting rid of the entire get_base_path thing in gnumed.py, and this in gnumed.py as well:

Now how do we find the documentation, translation strings and gnumed_logo.png?
[the png could be inlined in a Python module as we do with Richard's little
icons,  but not the rest]
Sorry to perseverate on this point, but I'm still unclear as to the answer.

I'm not really sure. The best I can think of is to have a conf file handle this. A smart distro would put the docs wherever they want, like /usr/share/gnumed/doc or /usr/share/doc/gnumed (I think the latter is now the standard), and then patch the default skeleton config file during installation to reflect wherever the distribution installed those files. The conf file is read-in by gnumed. Perhaps it could be alterable by using a "preferences" menu in gnumed, if necessary.

On the other hand, I just looked at the boa-constructor package and all of their images are under site-packages as well, and so are their docs. So we could just put them next to gnumed and gnumed will always find them whether we are in cvs of in an installed copy of gnumed. I'm not sure if linux distros favour this though, or whether it complies with the FHS.

I think it should be possible to find a good way to do this.

If we are going to reorganise the CVS, we should consider clearing some
dead-wood.
(stuff under test-area that's not being maintained anymore). The CVS should
match a tar.gz archive that we are happy to distribute.
Also a good point.

Instead of test-area, people should use CVS tags if they want to experiment
with the tree.

Good idea.