Re: [Gnumed-devel] install on Fedora

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] install on Fedora
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:56:25 +0100

> > GnuMed should run fine with Python 2.2/2.3. It doesn't work
> > with 2.1 anymore since Ian started using the dict() construct
> > recently.
> Sorry, that was not intentional. I know debian stable still uses python 2.1,
> but we need to
> use testing anyway for something else, I've forgotten what. So basically I'm
> saying: do we need
> python 2.1 support? If so, I'll change it.
I am not particularly happy with having to find a way to live
with dict() but I think this is the sort of thing I'll have to
put up with. dict() isn't so outlandish that I can claim that
we may not use it for fear of not being able to run on Python
2.1. Sure be my guest if you'd want to un-use it.

> I have added this table, but not commited,  to gmDemographics.sql, please
> comment
> -- ==========================================================
> -- the table formerly known as lnk_person2address
> -- homologous to data_links in Richard's schema
So how do we define a person to address link where the person
has no business whatsoever with any organisation in our
database ? IOW how do we define the address where a patient
lives ? That strikes me as something so fundamental that we
shouldn't make too many compromises about without extremely
good cause.

> create table lnk_person_org_address (
>       id serial primary key,
>       id_identity integer references identity,
>       id_address integer references address,
>       id_type int references address_type default 1,
>       address_source varchar(30),
>       id_org integer references org (id),
>       id_occupation references occupation (id), -- the job they do at this
> organisation
>       unique(id_identity, id_address)
> );

What is id_occupation to do in a table *replacing*
lnk_person2address ?

What does id_address refer to ? Does it group with id_identity
or id_org ? And if this table is to replace lnk_person2address
how are we to define the links formerly given in that table at
all ?

Why is it not sufficient to link people to orgs at a given
address ? eg

-- associate people with addresses (eg where they live)
lnk_person2address
    pk

-- associate orgs with addresses (eg where they reside)
lnk_org2address
    pk

-- associated people with a given org (yes, that org may
-- happen to have a certain address)
lnk_person2org_with_address
    id_identity
    id_lnk_org2address references lnk_org2address(pk)