Re: [Gnumed-devel] lnk_org_address_whatever (was: install on Fedora)

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lnk_org_address_whatever (was: install on Fedora)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:30:12 +1100

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:44:12 -0800
Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 02:22:05AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:
> > Where do doctors of various types have their "doctor" status (and
> > doctor type) defined. Presumably in the Identity table?
>
> So will the fact that an individual is a doctor appear in
> id_occupation,
Yes.

> generally, to health_care_worker_type (because in some areas doctors
> refer to physiotherapists, oral surgeons, psychologists which in my
> province all have "practitioner" numbers analogous to the doctor
> numbers.
The lists of occupations are locale specific but are 'flat' (the database does
not know
all anaesthetists are doctors, for example)

> Also I did wonder about "temporary" addresses as when patients have
> been admitted to hospital which has multiple consequences (office
> visits that will need to be cancelled or changed, communications that
> need to be rerouted etc. but where to keep the information about a
> patient's admitted status and the name of the hospital site. Any
> doctors who do out-of-hospital work may like to print a list of
> patients to be visited, some in their homes, some at one of sometimes
> multiple hospitals, so I wonder if the "hospital" might serve as a
> temporary address.
This sort of data belongs in the clinical database really IMHO.

 Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> IF we allow arbitrary (eg unconstrained) collections of
> databases making up a network or services we MUST NOT allow
> arbitrary (eg abstract, meaningless) patient identifiers. Else
> we cannot associate data from disparate sources reliably.
Very true.

My understanding was Horst wanted distribution for situations where some
overarching authority
(Goverment or hospital network)  could guarantee a PUPIC (ie arbitrary, but
universal)

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E