Re: [Gnumed-devel] lnk_org_address_whatever (was: install on Fedora)

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lnk_org_address_whatever (was: install on Fedora)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:19:53 +1100

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:56:25 +0100
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2.1. Sure be my guest if you'd want to un-use it.
Will do.

> > I have added this table, but not commited,  to gmDemographics.sql, please
> > comment
> > -- ==========================================================
> > -- the table formerly known as lnk_person2address
> > -- homologous to data_links in Richard's schema
> So how do we define a person to address link where the person
> has no business whatsoever with any organisation in our
> database ? IOW how do we define the address where a patient
> lives ? That strikes me as something so fundamental that we
> shouldn't make too many compromises about without extremely
> good cause.
For patients id_org would be NULL.

> What is id_occupation to do in a table *replacing*
> lnk_person2address ?
Simply that, people have different occupations at different places.

> What does id_address refer to ? Does it group with id_identity
> or id_org ?
Both. Your work address with always be the same as (one of the) addresses
associated with your organisation.

> -- associated people with a given org (yes, that org may
> -- happen to have a certain address)
> lnk_person2org_with_address
>     id_identity
>     id_lnk_org2address references lnk_org2address(pk)
Yes, that works too, but it creates ambiguity because we have
too many options for expressing the same information, we can say a person
"works" at 1 Main St, then
tie them to an organisation at 2 Main St, beacause they're in different tables
you can't catch them with
a unique constraint.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E