Re: [Gnumed-devel] Forms and lab requests

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Forms and lab requests
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:57:19 +0200

> I note the inclusion of a VO for lab requests.
> Does that mean separate VOs for radiology requests, allied health
> requests, medical referrals etc. I have no objection in principle, but
> I'm not sure how we would present this in the GUI, the number of
> editareas (if we have one for each) would soon get out of control.

Hm, the thing is I am currently working on getting lab results
handling working with GnuMed. Reason being that my parents
need that today. A Lab Request makes clinical sense to me. I
didn't see any *immediately obvious* way of generalizing the
request class to any kind of request (one would then have to
draw a line on much murkier grounds). I do understand the
possible benefit of it, though. When I or someone else gets
around to actually writing the code for a particular use case of
another kind of request we might discover: "Hey, it makes a
lot of sense to generalize things like *this*." We'd then
refactor. I hope to have the *type* of API stable enough to
allow for that.

Yes, it could also mean we are going to have several request
classes. I don't really fear that much proliferation since I
am not observing that many types of requests in daily work,
maybe 5 or so.

BTW, I plan on at least two "ways" of entering pending
requests (sharing the code, of course): One for it being
called from the macro processor (think by a controlling
legacy app), the other by going to to a "lab journal" notebook
plugin.

Richard, how did you handle lab data in your client
especially the pending request input side of things ?

Ian, does that help any ? (BTW, what is an allied health
request ?)