Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configuration options

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configuration options
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:10:48 +0200

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:16:12 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Both, actually.
>
> It makes a lot of sense to set default default options during
> bootstrapping. If I learned one thing when working with
> Andreas on Debian requirements it was that during installation
> one those questions should be asked that are absolutely
> necessary. And one should still end up with a basic usable
> system. That would be the options via SQL files.
In this case I would suggest to add functions to set/change and read options to
the sql code. That would make setting defaults on bootstrap much easier and
gmCfgSQL could be get a cleanup at the same time. There are still some bugs I
didn't fix as far as I remember in this code.

The default value issue is somewhat more complicated. I planned to have some
button in the Setup plugin that restores the default value. That would mean you
will need some way to get the default value, either from the backend or from a
file (DBDefault.definitions). So either we add a field to cfg_template or we
duplicate the information in DBDefault.definitions.
Another problem is the compatibility with config files (~/.gnumed/gnumed.conf).
There it's much more difficult to force that these informations (description,
type, default value) are hold in the same file. That's why these parameters are
duplicated in the .definition files.

So a lot of these trouble is caused by different interfaces/concepts in backend
and config files. The current solution tries to handle both in the same way and
to provide almost the same functionality.

Hilmar