Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed governance junta plus development guidelines

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed governance junta plus development guidelines
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 23:44:17 -0700

Not intentional at all. I have been combing through the gnumed-devel archive to try to further organize various but disparate bits of knowledge about the project. I was searching through anything on "guidelines", which is how I came across the old junta posting. I point out "old" and therefore very much in need of confirming / correcting / updating so thank you RIchard for re-confirming the interest, I'll amend the item as soon as the wiki comes back up.

Syan's point about mini-projects prompted Karsten to reply with the reminder about FIXMEs in various code and I found, among the old postings, other todos that I can feed back to the list in order that we determine their status and ongoing pertinence.

I thought it may be useful together together what has been suggested / decided about naming conventions. I have saved snippets into a text file after having weeded through 45 emails in the archive and to these I can add the couple of naming guidelines that appeared in the developer manual mainly to do with i18N. The snippets are a jumble of bits and pieces so will need some work once I post it for us to determine which parts remain true and which others could be important / helpful to add.

I am still learning how / where to extract additional educational information from gnumed itself. Thanks to the epydoc extract that Hilmar sent me, I will be able to inspect whether the python code itself contains commenting that informs about how things ought to be done more generally --- unless anyone already knows the answer to be probably no, that the comments just say what is being done and little that would relate to a generalizable strategy or guideline. In the latter event, I would get to it eventually only to learn more about the code.

I also will only slowly be getting more familiar with SQL but, having poked around with a tool I downloaded, am I correct to think that the sql files themselves contain commenting or other text content that may inform the development process and be worth abstracting?