[Gnumed-devel] examining current schemas

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] examining current schemas
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:30:38 -0700

On Jul 9, 2004, at 2:36 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Well, look at the current schema and tell us :)

Ian referred in the following post of October 2003 to 9 edit areas. Are these anywhere listed out, and their relation to the SQL files described?
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2003-10/msg00082.html

Are the schemas entirely contained within the directory gnumed/server/sql or, if no, where else? Is there anywhere an index or written listing of the sql files, together with an overview of how gnumed data is grouped across these files? If no (maybe "not yet" if this would be agreed useful but time has just not permitted) could I ask the difference between gmclinical.sql, gmClinicalData.sql and gmClinicalViews.sql (I could not find within gmclinical any text referencing gmClinicalData)

I gather the schemas are "written as source" right inside the postgres database files and unless we have easily available (and operable) an "extractor" -- something like Epydoc (for python) -- people need to access the schema information within each sql file individually using some tool?

I don't know if anyone else had tried it and found any problems with it but I have been able to find a free, cross-platform tool DataBrowser (v 3.2.2) at http://www.jetools.com/products/databrowser

Using its File>Open SQL... command, I have opened gmclinical.sql and enclose a screenshot. The lower screen area offers several browsing and editing tools, but none appear to usefully access individual tables, columns etc which I would think should exist and should be accessible?

I imagine that even just being able to browse the "scheme source" is useful but to better understand the tables and down the road to more nimbly examine test data, would people recommend installing web-based phpPgAdmin (which I gather requires to create and edit the application’s php configuration file)