[Gnumed-devel] Slightly modified logon gui

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Slightly modified logon gui
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:39:55 +1000

Ian,

I've quickly changed a little of the code to keep everything on the one
screen. As discussed I've removed the option button and put back the other
necessary options onto the front screen. I'll post the code to you
separately. If you want someone else to fix the bits I've mentioned below if
you are busy, just pass it on.

Attatched is the code modifications. It's a while since I touched coding, so
I've probably stuffed this up to a degree (eg removed some lines, left others
in uncommented, not completely removed redundant lines). It may be better for
you to simply snip the new gui lines into the old file. If we are not using
the option button anymore a whole stack of it isnt needed anyway.

Though there are more up-front options :

- I've removed a little of the clutter by putting the workplace name on the
title bar of the window (You should remove the '[  ]' from around it as I
reckon it looks ugly and is unecessary visual clutter.

-I've removed the title name from the frame around the combo's which is a
redundant feature and adds to visual clutter.

-Capitalised Host, Username etc and changed forground colour to dark blue to
make them stand out a little bit more

- You need to somehow set the focus to the password box.

Personally I'd like to include a checkbox under the password box to allow:

'save password', so that at bootup the focus sits on the Ok button, that way
after booting up a simple enter will start gnuMed loading instead of the
current need for a number of clicks/typing.

If you view the new vs old screens you will see very little difference between
the new and old, (and I think our original version was more near to this
latest one). I've not included the port option as we discussed.

In terms of functionality however it is interesting (assuming someone has
managed to set startup focus in code to the password box:

Scenario1: (we save the password) with check box (not there yet)
New Design: Single keypress (enter) starts gnumed main loading
        total=1 keypress.

Old Design : 10 keypresses (including password)
 (tab from user to password, enter password, tab, enter ok)
       total =10  keypresses
Scenario2: (we don't save  the password) accept defaults
New Design: 7 for password + tab + enter = 9

Old Design:keypresses for your password (say 7 if password is any-doc)
tab  to password, enter password, tab to Ok then enter key
= 10 keypresses to get main loading
Scenario3: Change Options of database, host, no saved password
using optimal mouse + keyboard
New Design:(optimal keyboard  + mouse movements + password has focus at start)
 - 7 keypress (password) + pickup mouse
   + 5 mouseclicks to change database +host + start main
total = 12

Old design: (using optimal keyboard + mouse movements/tabs)
 - 8 keypress (tab to password + 7 for pw), then pickup mouse
 + 7 mouseclicks to change database + host and start main
total = 15

Scenario4: Change Options of database, host, no saved password
using keyboard only
new = 16 keypresses
old = 23 keypresses

ie just the act of saving the password = 1 vs 10 keypresses.
Not saving the password  = little difference if accept default
Change defaults  around 12 (new) vs 15 (old) design (mouse + keyboard)
keyboard navigatin only (quicker in some circumstances - maybe not here) 16 vs
23

These differences may not seem like much, but over once within gnuMed, going
from control to control, screen to screen, they add up tremendously during a
days work.