Re: [Gnumed-devel] Slightly modified logon gui

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Slightly modified logon gui
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:08:26 +1000

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:38:39 +1000
Richard Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Remembering passwords is an interesting thing.
>
> The way I look at it is as follows.
>
> One boots up the machine in the morning - sitting in front of it and needs a
> password to access it. Once in the gui - and once gnuMed is running - if you
> leave the room you should (or it automatically should), password lock the
> gnuMed gui, so that no-one can access it.
IMHO console locking is a function of the operating system, not an individual
application, as more than one app on a given desktop may need to be protected.

With passwords, we could have gnumed attempt a "local socket" connection
before displaying the logon prompt. In this case the password is unneccessary
as postgres can confirm the user's identity via the OS.
This may be useful on some production systems: example: a small GP
clinic using a terminal server: one server box running all the clients and the
database.

Ian
PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E