Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui-Designers was the id_name debate

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui-Designers was the id_name debate
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:32:19 +0200

Richard,

> Essentially programming bores me to tears, I only try and learn it to help
> the
> project along in little ways which I do quite successfully. I don't pretend
> to be a clever programmer - nor never will be one.
I hope you will stick around.

> Despite your logic - forgive my dig - gnuMed still can't load and save a
> patient and their demographic data, after many years of hard work on the
I would think the reason for this is that no one has really
committed to writing a maintainable, fairly simple plugin to
do just that. The reasons are manyfold - lack of time, lack of
interest, lack of need, etc. Now, who is to blame for that ?
No one has ever spoken up and said:

"I am willing to use GnuMed for X. There are those Y things
that I need GnuMed to minimally do before I am able to use it
though. One thing is patient input with this and this and this
data. Can we work together to make patient input happen ?"

> The frustration for me and many others is that we want gnuMed up and running
> -
So why don't you and others *define* the *minimally* needed
functionality for using GnuMed to do task X ? Even if you
can't write that code it is immensely useful to see "I will
use GnuMed for A if it does B, C and D by end of November." I
do understand that the excellent usability of your VB client
makes you want to not go back to anything less in
functionality and usability but frankly, that isn't going to
happen tomorrow.

> There have been many attempts to help gnuMed (remember our conference last
> year I think), offers and suggestions around project management, and these
> have come to nothing.
A few people *have* done something, think of Jim who has
improved our documentation a great deal. Think of Carlos who
has quietly written lots of good code. Or Liz who has posted
meaningful lab selections and is working on getting them
codified at some point (?). You yourself have written
thourough functional specs. Others I forgot to mention. Yet,
other people have not done anything to actually help.

> Despite what you say about gui-designers - I found using VB + visual
> designers
> in access - that it speeded up my work.
Horst was talking about visual DB schema designers. He himself
suggested using wxGlade for GUI development several times.

> I could write VB code from top down - writing multiple routines in parallel,
> so they all came together at once. My VB Client, despite its crap code was
> written in about 6 months of my spare time  and has been in constant use
> since 1998 on a daily basis. The database has hundreds of tables and hundreds
> of queries,  yet even over that time is only about 34MB in size.
Truly I am not sure what your point is here, Richard ?

> Though you dislike me designs
Horst seems to do. I for one don't.