Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui-Designers was the id_name debate

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui-Designers was the id_name debate
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:54:01 +1000

You hit the nail of the head. Dead right - our brains are very different - you
are left brained - logical - stepa>step b, I am right brained - hence I
***struggle*** with computer logic. Still can't read man pages etc

I get continually peed of with linux because of its illogical functionality.
The file save dialogs being a classic example. Even the newer ones, though
looking superficially like the microsoft controls, lack some of the essential
microsoft funcitonality (like hitting a letter and having the directories
slide across to the directories starting with that letter).

Essentially programming bores me to tears, I only try and learn it to help the
project along in little ways which I do quite successfully. I don't pretend
to be a clever programmer - nor never will be one.

Interstingly I think in pictures too, and read in blocks of text - usually
paragraphs/page not words. As my brain is not as logic based as yours when it
comes to this stuff I have to see the connections - when reading the text I
feel dyslexic. What I do do well is distilling complexity into simplicity.

Despite your logic - forgive my dig - gnuMed still can't load and save a
patient and their demographic data, after many years of hard work on the
backend - which yes, is good code, sophisticated and beyond my understanding.

The frustration for me and many others is that we want gnuMed up and running -
and politically, at least in AU, one can envisage a situation were an
unsatisfactory solution is imposed upon us by state legislation and needs.
There have been many attempts to help gnuMed (remember our conference last
year I think), offers and suggestions around project management, and these
have come to nothing.

Despite what you say about gui-designers - I found using VB + visual designers
in access - that it speeded up my work.

I could write VB code from top down - writing multiple routines in parallel,
so they all came together at once. My VB Client, despite its crap code was
written in about 6 months of my spare time  and has been in constant use
since 1998 on a daily basis. The database has hundreds of tables and hundreds
of queries,  yet even over that time is only about 34MB in size. My contact
manager I wrote for the HUDGP many years ago is used in real life situations
by dozens of people of a daily basis. When I gave them the beta of this they
found 4 bugs - that's all. So visual design does work for some people. I
acknowledge none of my stuff is sophisticated -but at least it is working in
the real world.  Though you dislike me designs - the doctors who used my
script writer in division projects bemoaned the fact that I took it away from
them and wouldn't support it - and groan about the functionally crap software
(MDW) that they use today.

With your progamming talents gnuMed could be buzzing.

Regards

richard