Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: limitations of Mandrake

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: limitations of Mandrake
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:30:36 -0800

J Busser wrote:

At 7:34 AM +0100 11/19/04, Andreas Tille wrote:

I do not want to make Debian advertising but I hope you are aware that Debian
works on PowerPC (and on 11 other architectures as well).
Moreover I might add that I think I'll finish the Debian packaging next week.
I'm just waiting for some hints from Karsten how to bootstrap the server
sanely.  Once this is done the bug squashing season might start. :)

I had downloaded it and tried to install. It got a bit confusing with varying hard drive partition format requirements (needing an HFS Mac partition without which copying would not be possible from the Debian to OS X [UFS?] partition). Moreover yaboot didn't seem to behave the way the documentation said it should. I was a bit pressed for time and it was a year ago, it is possible I would now understand the instructions a bit better. Dual-boot would be nice but for a while I could tolerate having to reboot.

To be able to use Debian as a client OS, does a person need to be a power-user much more than for other Linux distros?.

No. I find Redhat the most confusing OS to use. I remember the GUI wasn't able to configure my network properly, so I looking in the conf files in /etc but it was too confusing.

If I had trouble installing it myself, I could get help, but I certainly don't want to *need* help adjusting things that should be "basic" e.g. TCP/IP network settings, connecting to a choice of printers etc.

I just migrating my maching at work from Windows to Gentoo. Installing was only about 2 hours and everything after that was a breeze. Debian's TCP/IP config is pretty straightforward, just edit some file in /etc/, like interfaces or network, something like that. Then restart something in /etc/init.d. For printers, install cups, foomatic, etc... go to http://localhost:631. Then use kprinter to pring. Just examples. Debian is easier than Redhat or Mandrake. Create a net install CD every 2 or 3 years and never install or upgrade from CDs again.

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81