Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:54:03 +1100

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

GNUmed uses icons. These icons can either be *.png images (any directly
supported by wxwidgets directly) or a *.png image converted to a *.py file
by img2py.
Personally I loathe this practice and would much prefer all client icons under
client/bitmaps as separate files.

I don't know of any advantages of embedding files in python code,
the disadvantages you discuss. (namely, can't be edited)

But, like so many things, having to support both is far worse than either alone,
so we should junk client/bitmpas if the majority want img2py.

Wait, there *is* an advantage: if we stop scanning client/wxpython/gui for
modules too,
the client now has no need to hunt on the local filesystem for its own directory
once PYTHONPATH is set up, this makes the packager's job slightly easier.

I think not. I would store patient images in its original file format in the
database. Much like we do it with archive content right now.
This preserves exif information (date, rotation, shutter speed) from digital
cameras I hope.
Correct. Patient images are a totally seperate issue.

Can the tables for both needs (clinical and nonclinical) be identified for this thread, to assist the wiki?
Hmm, not sure what Jim is asking here.
AFAIK the only server-side table that would store images is doc_obj.
However the database, and gnumed, don't know or care that they are images,
they are just opaque lumps of binary data which are handed to the OS
for display.
The exception is patient portraits, which are so marked (but still in doc_obj)
wxWindows is responsible for displaying them: again we as gnumed coders don't
care what format they are in.
wxWindows supports all the common formats.

Ian