Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] artwork handling
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:41:26 +0100 (MET)

> Also if a sheet-fed scanner generates a file that contains multiple
> images (say from each page of a multi-page paper consultation), would
> this be a problem for gnumed to import? I think this is a "metafile"?
No problem a all. As Ian pointed out it is just a stream of bytes. Postgres
doesn't care the least what this stream represents to us or any application.
It will store it and return it when asked to do so.

BTW. My scanner plugin for the archive does not yet support combining
individual pages into a multipage image (e.g. tiff). Not because it is not
possible but because there was no need to implement it.

In case of user demand it can be implemented. I do not have a sheet fed
scanner so the workflow right now it optimized towards single page scanners.
I have some ideas on how to rework the workflow towards sheet-fed scanners.
I might put them in the Wiki. Remind me if I forget to do so.

> For possible interest:
>
> On-the-Fly Conversion: TIFF2PNG vs. TIFF2GIF Conversion Utilities
> http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/IMLS/tiff2png_summary.pdf

I use the python imaging library to do all graphics work. There even is an
interface to ImageMagick so we don't need to worry about having to implement
any of this ourselves.

*
* help solving the protein folding problem
foldingathome.stanford.edu
*
* sign the linux driver petion :
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html
*

DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl