Re: [Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:18:04 +0100

On Friday 25 March 2005 00:08, Roberto Mello wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 01:54:21PM +0100, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > What I will sell maybe is binary packages made from this script. What are
> > your opinions on that ? I am not selling licenses for GNUmed which cannot
> > be done. I am selling the service of providing prepackaged binaries which
> > contains code that is freely available. I will charge for providing these
> > packages on CD as well as for the CD it self. I am not claiming to be
> > authorized by the FOSS project GNUmed but do this on my own account.
>
> You're free to sell branded/boxed copies of GNUmed for those that want to
> buy it. When you redistribute binaries, just make sure the sources go
> along. I don't think the GPL says that you have to make the software
> downloadable for free, but if someone buys a copy from you, they'll be free
> redistribute copies of it, just like you.
>
> If you brand it with a name trademarked by you, those redistributing your
> "version" may not want to use your trademarked name, but they can still
> redistribute the software, make it better and compete with you.
>
> You're also free to sell services based on the software.
Thanks for all your input. That makes it more transparent.

> I don't see any problems with that. In fact, it's part of the beauty of
> free software. I say go ahead. I've wanted to do the same but haven't had
> time yet.
I was always hoping that someone(person/company) would come and do this and
the GNUmed project would work well together with that someone. Five years (?)
have passed and no such thing happend. A few days ago it just hit me. That
someone must be me !? So I am doing what I hoped someone else would do for
GNUmed. We will see where that leads. I have no idea.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany