Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feature Freeze announcement

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feature Freeze announcement
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:42:56 +0200

On Fri, 27 May 2005 00:30:49 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:36:35PM +0200, Hilmar Berger wrote:
>
> > I tried to figure out what has to be done before 0.1 by
> > looking at the TODO file, but couldn't find out which tasks are
> > before and which post 0.1 - we will have to update this file
> > once we will have decided on the functionality we want to
> > provide.
> The TODO *file* in CVS is basically *all* post-0.1. The Wiki
> has the TODO for pre-0.1.
>
> > I looked at the modules that will go in 0.1 - and I am still
> > not quite sure what we will show
> Well, that is a list of functionality. It doesn't spell out
> how it's being done. The status quo of "Release 0.1" is how
> it's going to be done if you ask me.
>
> > and if these modules (Manual,
> > EMR-tree, EMR-journal, Setup, Patient Details and Progress
> > Notes) are in a presentable state.
> You can find that out by running the Release condidate.
If I remember well, running gm-0_1-from-cvs.sh should run it, shouldn't it ?

If so, then the modules loaded (see above) do not fit the description of the
current state in the wiki:
http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/WhatCanIActuallyDOWithGNUmedToday

Maybe we should mark functionality exptected to work in 0.1 as such.

> > Manual:
> > This is quite outdated. Should we update it before the
> > release of 0.1 or rather link to the wiki ? Or even provide a
> > local copy of the wiki in the release package ?
> Yes either way.
I propose packaging a local copy of the relevant html-pages take from the wiki.
Changing the User Manual in SGML is quite time-consuming. Will try to do that.

> > EMR-tree / EMR- journal: These plugins show the same
> > information, just the structure is different. Wouldn't it make
> > sense to combine both in one plugin ?
> Not now anymore IMO.

Well, then some description in the User guide on what is the difference is
desirable.

> > Why not connect the code that adds a new patient
> > to the Patient Details page ??
> the patient details page that used to be there isn't loaded in
> the Release configuration anymore, we load Carlos' notebook
> version now
Do I have the wrong Release config ? I don't see Carlos' notebook version ...

> > So, here are my suggestions:
> > - fix the specs for 0.1 so that it shows how a potential user
> >   might work with gnumed. This includes a consistent concept and
> >   workflow
> Feel free to make specific suggestions.
Will look into this in more detail.

> Notice how the manual in the Wiki does list how a potential
> user might work with GNUmed.
>
> It is also quite apparent you have not worked in a medical
> practice in the community. I have. And I have using GNUmed
> (at it's current potential) - with real life data and not
> fooling around.
But you know how Gnumed works and how it is thought to be - a new user does
not. And I had the impression that this new user might get confused when
presented to it the first time. And there will be a lot of people that will
look at Gnumed exactly one time to see if it is promising or not.

> > - fix and subsequently freeze the data model (backend)
> Feel free to suggest things that need fixing. What
> deficiencies do you see that are relevant ot 0.1 ?
I don't say deficiencies. I just noted that the sql-files were changed quite
frequently in the CVS, indicating backend changes. Since the data model is the
base of any further development, I suggested to get this in a stable state
first and fix the GUI afterward.

> > - write a basic user guide describing the concept and typical workflow
> > within gnumed
> feel free to go ahead
I guess updating the user guide in the wiki will do.

Hilmar