Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feature Freeze announcement

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feature Freeze announcement
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:49:36 +0200

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:42:56AM +0200, Hilmar Berger wrote:

> > > and if these modules (Manual,
> > > EMR-tree, EMR-journal, Setup, Patient Details and Progress
> > > Notes) are in a presentable state.
> > You can find that out by running the Release condidate.
> If I remember well, running gm-0_1-from-cvs.sh should run it, shouldn't it ?
That is correct.

> If so, then the modules loaded (see above) do not fit the description of the
> current state in the wiki:
> http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/WhatCanIActuallyDOWithGNUmedToday
You are right. There are two pages that are not sufficiently
marked as what they are.

1) the page you give is a list of what code is (or schould) be
   in working order currently
2) the Release 0.1 feature list I am referring to is what is
   intended to be functional *and supported* (that is the
   difference between them) for 0.1

I agree that the documentation ought to be much clearer/better
on that.

> > > Manual:
> I propose packaging a local copy of the relevant html-pages take from the
> wiki. Changing the User Manual in SGML is quite time-consuming. Will try to
> do that.
Thanks ! I agree.

> > > EMR-tree / EMR- journal: These plugins show the same
> > > information, just the structure is different.
> Well, then some description in the User guide on what is the difference is
> desirable.
Surely correct. Do you think you can look at those and write
something in the Wiki ?  I could then come back and see
exactly where the widgets don't have obvious appeal to a
casual user.

> > > Why not connect the code that adds a new patient
> > > to the Patient Details page ??
> > the patient details page that used to be there isn't loaded in
> > the Release configuration anymore, we load Carlos' notebook
> > version now
> Do I have the wrong Release config ? I don't see Carlos' notebook version ...
Well, it went in two days ago :-)  Oh, wait, the public server
is not updated yet ... done ...

> > Notice how the manual in the Wiki does list how a potential
> > user might work with GNUmed.
> But you know how Gnumed works and how it is thought to be - a
> new user does not.
Sure, that's why I started some documentation in the Wiki.

> And I had the impression that this new user
> might get confused when presented to it the first time. And
> there will be a lot of people that will look at Gnumed exactly
> one time to see if it is promising or not.
I would welcome anyone looking at GNUmed, looking at the
existing documentation and sending me patches for either one.

> > > - fix and subsequently freeze the data model (backend)
> I don't say deficiencies. I just noted that the sql-files
> were changed quite frequently in the CVS, indicating backend
> changes. Since the data model is the base of any further
> development, I suggested to get this in a stable state first
> and fix the GUI afterward.
Oh, you meant "fix" in the sense of "fixate". I didn't get
that. Surely, the schema will have to be frozen - eg tagged in
CVS or something. Same for the code.