[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.1 on Windows XP

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.1 on Windows XP
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:53:51 -0700

Well, I got GNUmed going on Windows XP :-)

I have updated some of the wiki pages, for example linking from the
Download page to the Preparing for GNUmed page. Also on the Installation
page under Windows are some well-intended notes by a user which
need to be cleaned up and make clear to me the page needs updating
and correction on account of some things having changed (thanks
Sebastian).

Upon trying to run GNUmed, I waited and waited
and... surely it could not take THAT long for even the client login
screen to open... and I realized the batch file would not run correctly
because in English, Windows' C: directory for programs is "Program
Files" not "Programme". But neither substituting Program Files in
quotations or escaping with a caret (^) would work, until after much
searching I finally found something describing "8.3 versions of...
filenames" which taught me that evidently one must use "PROGRA~1"
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/e/4/1e4b15b1-2253-492a-b59e-ddaec6c2e740/msvc.doc

So in two places in the batch file must be substituted PROGRA~1

    set PYTHONPATH=..\;%PYTHONPATH%
    set PATH=%PATH%;c:\\Python23
    REM set LANG=de_DE

    cd c:\
    cd PROGRA~1
    cd GNUmed-client
    python ./bin/gnumed.py
    --conf-file=C:\PROGRA~1\GNUmed-client\gm-0_1.conf --debug

How would a need for different batch files, depending on the
version/language of Windows, be supported? As multiple
batch files gnumed-en and gnumed-de where the user can
delete what they don't need, if they don't like multiple versions
peering at them from inside Windows'
Start/Programs/Gnumed/ submenus?

At first I could find no patients, neither Spock nor Kirk seemed to
exist and I was forced into a "create patient" widget that I could
cancel from.

I could not keep the tooltip open long enough to read all the options, I
was hoping to see one to display all patients that existed (though
Karsten said there are 10,000, is that true for the salaam db?) but I
now realize there are only otherwise options to be shown recent
patients, which would not yet exist in my client. It seemed I had to
click the "in Praxis" popup to re-enable the tooltip, dunno if there
would have been easier ways.

For whatever reason, I was on my next try able to connect. Dunno
whether, the first time, omething timed out to cause the client to
*think* the patient(s) did not exist. Depending on my subsequent choices
(EMR tree etc) it took 30 - 45 seconds, sometimes more, to pull the
data. WIll need to make that caveat prominent in the wiki for people
(like me) connecting to the public database. Also wondered if there
should be something visual like "Working..." in the blank space,
otherwise I would have thought Kirk had only some visits in 2000 when I
sat watching his Progress Notes list very little and nothing in his EMR
tree.

The question-mark that exists for Spock's first name is concatenated
immediately after his title (Capt.?) which is no different than for Kirk
(Capt.James Tiberius Kirk) i.e. a space must be inserted in the code, yes?

Do we have any idea what is the problem with the date of birth field
being rejected? I could not edit any of Kirk's info (I was going to add
a space after his title, to see if it would show up in the concatenated
name/search field) but could not, even though I left his date of birth
unchanged. Plagued by the "Invalid date format" prompt.

Under the Patient menu, Edit Demographics jumps one right into the third
demographic tab "Occupation" which does not seem very useful, would it
better jump people into the first tab?

Prior to activating any patient, I had clicked on a variety of tabs
resulting in a status or feedback message at the bottom of the screen,
something like "No active patient selected." However that message
remained even after I did activate multiple patients.

A small thing but can we set the "P" in the tab of "progress notes" to
upper case to make it visually consistent?