Re: [Gnumed-devel] state of test results handling

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] state of test results handling
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:48:51 -0700

On 30-Mar-08, at 3:22 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
- would the checkbox "Technically abnormal" within the Review widget
serve to let the user overwrite (alter) whatever value had been provided
by test_org?
No way ! :-)  What the test_org thinks is what they think.
GNUmed wouldn't dare alter that even if a misguided user
thinks that'd be a good idea.

Doh! I misunderstood it to be recorded into each test_result table row acknowledged by a clinician but I see the signing information is recorded in Reviewed_Test_Results).

I am not sure how the clinician's decision about technically_abnormal interacts with the test_org's determination... maybe the test_org's indicator of abnormality should be offered as the default value for what is to be signed by the clinical, and the value of storing the clinician's value separately would in all likelihood be limited to:

- situations when the lab's workflow did not easily allow them to send an abnormality indicator with a particular test type and/or - errors made by the lab in which case the clinician may wish to over- ride how the result is regarded in GNUmed (this would spare dependence on getting the lab to fix or change something, which can be a hassle and which the test_org may or may not get around to doing and therefore may or may not reissue that result)

If a signer-assigned value for "technically abnormal" exists, should that take the place of what the test_org had assigned (not in the data table but) as represented in the grid?

Is there a useful way to capture or represent a combination of the test_org indicator, the clinician-determined technical abnormality and the clinician-determined clinical significance in that padding to the right of each cell?