Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed manual
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 23:47:36 +0200

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 09:50:28PM +0200, Gour wrote:

> Karsten> generating at least HTML - upload to the "manual url"
>
> My reply is that I do not believe that any change you make during your
> night-shift is so urgent that it must be committed at once to the
> server.

I am reading emails on this very list. When I discover that
something needs to be better documented I do so, perhaps
write a new chapter in the Manual, update another one and
reply with an URL to that.

> Karsten> Nevertheless, a better manual is surely something desirable !
> Nice that you agree.
Who wouldn't ?  :-)

> If the docs requires that your night-shift-notes must be applied on the
> spot to be usable, then I am suspicious that something is very bad with
> the application and/or docs itself ;)
You are certainly right on this and that's why I like fixing
things, hah !

> Karsten> Why of course will someone close fixed bugs. But being able to
> Karsten> close bugs in a tracker isn't exactly the point of using a
> Karsten> tracker, right ?
>
> Sure. But having them in the tracker enables one to know what is going
> on with the project. At the moment, I think you're the only one knowing
> what's happening.
Changing that would be useful.

> Work on docs 7 days and nights, commit locally and then once in a week,
> push & merge to the main server.
Documentation is a bad example for what you are trying to
say. Of course do I not commit every little code change to
the server immediately but rather in chunks when things
start getting ready.

"Release early, release often" applies to committing just as
much as to actual releases.

> bzr branch of GNUmed at LP is regularly updated, but the problem is that
> if I apply changes there and publish that branch, I wonder how easy will
> you merge back to CVS.
It probably won't be possible but I don't think that's a
problem because the VCS thing is an either-or affair.