Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:20:33 -0700

On 25-Sep-08, at 3:07 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I have put down an analysis here:

   http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/AllergyAndIntoleranceStatus

Comments and improvements welcome.

I continue to think that the current focus on the schema misses the point that we still lack agreement on proper and/or desirable *clinical* usage of allergy information.

I understand

        allergy state = NULL (unasked)

        allergy state = 0 (asked and convincingly "none")

however any other state is simply "other than none"

Clin.allergy rows already provide for a level of uncertainty ( "definite" or not) so I do not see the value of capturing and maintaining some separate level of uncertainty in "allergy state" (nor the value, in allergy.state, of a comment that then needs to be separately maintained).

Therefore I ask again, if a clinician would enter any comment in a clin_allergy row (whether this would be that the patient remembers they did have some allergy or intolerance -- but can't recall the details -- or whether they are being evasive, or otherwise do not wish to fully say) ... why does such an entry not suffice?

It seems to me that once the question of allergy has been asked, the state should be entirely determined by the presence or absence of items in clin.allergy...

- if one or more items have been marked definite, then the allergy state is definitely allergic to at least something. You could even have a patient who cannot recall what it was that they had received, but that they nearly died and were told they should never have it again. They would still be properly regarded "definitely allergic to something" but how would you even use this information?

- if one or more items have been entered in clin.allergy but *none* have been marked definite, then the allergic state is "possible"

- if after having asked the question, there is nothing -- not even hesitation -- to put into the clin.allergy table, then the allergy state is "none" or more correctly "none that we presently know and, indeed, none that we have any question about"

This is the reason why the only intrinsic value in allergy.state is to track whether the question had ever been asked, and the rest (possible or definite) should simply be derived from what exists among the clin.allergy entries.

I would go further. Richard already raised the question of what value it serves to have asked it before, given that it should be re-asked prior to every new or repeat exposure to which we would be subjecting a patient. I have to concede that despite the temptation to ask it "at least once", it does little good to have asked it *only* once. Even when an entry of "no allergy" would have been true at the time of entry, supposing a patient would have newly developed an allergy in response to care from inside *or* outside the praxis, does it serve any good to have asked this before when it is not asked the next time a doctor in the praxis prescribes something? This is why it would be much more to the point that a reminder of whatever is the current allergy information be contained in a prompt to the clinician who would prescribe something to which the patient may be allergic. Otherwise we are talking about a once-only entry of information for whatever value it has to be recorded in *advance* of when it will be needed, even though the information could in the meantime have easily changed.