[Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed in Ubuntu

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed in Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:28:20 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Uhm, Debian policy requires a manpage for every single executable
in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin ...

Well, you asked for which are useful to be moved to the
Debian package not about which to move to /usr/(s)bin/

Yes.  So could you give a list of files with a recommendation
what should be in the path and what not?

We do have manpages now for
/usr/sbin/gm-bootstrap/upgrade_server and for
/usr/bin/gnumed.

Fine.

enouth to tell the interpreter what to do.  Just imagine you will
later decide to rewrite your shell script in Perl/Python/C/whatever.
You will be forced to rewrite your docs, change other code which
might call the scripts or whatever.
which is a good thing - it forces me to reascertain my
assumptions in those places which call the "old" code

Well, it is just BAD (broken at design) and I guess you forgot
a smiley, right. ;-)

The other *.py files are OK, because they do not seem to be called
themself but provide Python modules.  On the other hand this raises
the question whether these should be moved to

   /usr/share/python-support/gnumed-common/Gnumed/server

or something like that
They could. It may require some fiddling with paths in the
config files. Which, surely, is the task of the package
maintainer :-)

No problem.  If you confirm that these are needed at the box running
gnumed-server I'll care for a reasonable location.  But it is your
turn to test the packages afterwards because only real use cases can
be real test cases.

You say it. We have already reduced dependancy on bash in
many scripts and have changed them to use sh. Some require
bash, nonetheless. None of the *required* scripts, however,
I believe (such as the bootstrapper). Now, if say the
provided backup scripts need bash and thus do not run on a
netbook - I don't worry too much, that's not my task.

Well, it is not really my point to run gnumed-server on a netbook.
If a machine is powerful enough to run PostgreSQL it most probably
has no problem running bash.  It was just a general advise and in
most cases a "#!/bin/bash" is used because the author just runs
this shell and not because it is really needed.  Just avoid those
cases and everything is fine.

I am always accepting patches which make those scripts run
under other shells.

I might have a look.

I know. That's why I made those scripts use "su" now :-) I
simply didn't take the time previously to investigate how to
"run a command with su as a certain user".

Fine.

That is precisely what our documentation says. Run the
installer scripts as root. And now they don't even need
"sudo" anymore :-)

It's always fun to talk about interesting things. ;-))

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de