Re: [Gnumed-devel] Request For Comment

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Request For Comment
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 16:56:44 -0700

On 9-Mar-09, at 4:03 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Is it realistic to assume that someone who has trouble
knowing "0.5" to mean "one half" will be OK with "1/2" (in
proper superscript / subscript format) to mean "one half" ?

I think some patients might understand 1/2 properly formatted, when they might not have understood 0.5, however the fraction has its own down-sides of usually-smaller font and therefore more poorly readable. I am recognizing this increasingly as my own eyes age!

I wonder whether it would be in the step of selecting a printout
"format" that the clinician would decide what a particular patient
needs?
It would, yes. I don't think it is unrealistic either.
Fairly easy to implement, too. Feel free to put it on the
Wiki page. One might event decide to put both of 0.5 (or
1/2) *and* "one half", say in parenthesis, onto the
printout.

will do