Re: [Gnumed-devel] terminology question

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] terminology question
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 02:07:00 +0200

> > Patient suffers from AV-Block III° and receives a dual chamber
> > pacemaker.
> > Health issue/Grunderkrankung would be AV-Block III° I assume.
> > Pacemaker
> > implant procedure would be what in that context ?
>
> I see no way to avoid granting that the pacemaker is its own health
> issue.
There could be an episode under AV-Block III° named "admission for
PM insertion" which holds progress notes relevant to that part.

> The patient had a procedure done,
For which the health issue can be marked explicitely.

> which was an insertion, and
> can have been a progress note attached under AV-blockIII. However at
> the same time that the progress note is made, I see no escape to
> adding a new health
> issue
>
>       status post-pacemaker insertion
>
> (I would abbreviate s/p) with the details of the pacemaker.
The details could be in the progress notes under the above episode
under AV-Block III°.

Personally, I would add a Caveat (currently as a pseudo-allergy to make
it show up as a caveat) "PM" as it is relevant to be reminded of that
as a caveat when, say, considering referral for MRI scans.

BUT if you, as a clinician, decide you better like "s/p PM insertion"
to be another health issue -- more power to you !

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01