Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref2 in Oscar

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref2 in Oscar
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 00:25:24 +0100

To give a high-level overview of what Oscar did with (to ?)
drugref:

Initially it found drugref and thought it a neat project.

It then took what it found and slowly engulfed what was
there.

Right now there's nothing that reminds of what the drugref
concepts once were.

The intended benefits of drugref are completely lost.

Intended benefits were:

- integrative high level generic API over *several different* data sources

- combining of several data sources into a larger whole such that
  the lack in one can be augmented by another

We currently see why this is useful in FreeDiams:

The French data does not contain any DDD.

The WHO does not contain any brand names or product
manifests or interactions.

The Oscar data contains interactions.

If the French data would be augmented with ATC via the INN
drugref could combine that with WHO DDD and Canada product
manifests and Oscar interactions.

In short: Oscar "bastardized" drugref into something that is
useful to itself. I don't blame them. I'm simply stating
what it looks like to me. I hope to be wrong. I hope
FreeDiams to become the new drugref.