[Gnumed-devel] Re: Billing/invoicing for GNUmed

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Billing/invoicing for GNUmed
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:05:07 +0200

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:07:50AM +0200, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > $ apt-cache show sql-ledger
> >
> > I do not know about the difference of lx-office from sql-ledger, but
> > sql-ledger packages exist (since several years).
>
> We will have to check that with regards to the following issues.
>
> Lx-Office was supposedly forked because it was not possible to adapt it to
> German needs within the project.

"not possible" - in IT this very frequently tranlates to: I'm not willing
to, I'm not skilled enough, etc.

> Lx-Office is targeted at German companies which implies that they have
> possibly made the same mistake and it might not be usable outside Germany.

Relaying on a fork which was created because of reasons which are not
fully clarified (I mean whether the authors are just not willing or are
not motivated to change, whatever) is not really a good idea IMHO.
Moreover it restricts the billing functionality of GNUmed to German
users which is also not wanted in the end.

> Lx-Office has a German and and an English interface. Someone skilled should
> check it from an accounting point of view.

I have not even an idea what exactly accounting means - so I'm probably
not the right person to investigate here.  But if I would start my
research I would probably try to dig for the discussion which was the
root of the fork and read the arguing.  Does it really sounds
convincing?  Is there any programming API which is the same for
sql-ledger and lx-office which somehow might abstract the difference?

I'm not very optimistic that lx-office will be packaged for Debian as a
competing package to sql-ledger ...

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--