[Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Billing/invoicing for GNUmed

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Billing/invoicing for GNUmed
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 00:01:46 +0200

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 01:18:28PM +0200, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> Choice is not a bad thing.

IMHO the category good or bad does not really apply here.  I'm asking:
Does an increasing number of choices make my work more easy or will it
just make my work even more complicated.  It is a different thing to
choose from a (limited) set of strong very good supported projects
(Emacs or vim, KDE or Gnome, etc.) or to choose between similar projects
developed by a small developer / user circle.  The first kind of choice
will not have any heavy consequences on your project the latter might
have such one and can make your life harder.  So choice is probably not
bad per se but it can have a very bad influence on your project.

> There is no real API I am aware of. sql-ledger and lx-office still share some
> code so calling functions on the commandline is the same in principle. The
> expressions to call may be different. The api can be gmBilling which would
> let
> people implement their favourite ledger.

This might be a reasonable approach.

> I have used Lx-office for a small business for some years. It is not too hard
> to install from source. However since a package exists it might be worth
> checking out how much work is involved to include it into Debian

The problem is that if I would spend my time into this I would have to
stop other things which are *directly* medicine related instead.  This
is not a really good option IMHO.  I have to trust other people who
consider lx-office (as any other basic infrastructure package with no
specific medical use) as important enough for their work to be worth
spending time in packaging it.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--