[Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] xDT import problems

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Gnumed-bugs] xDT import problems
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:49:33 +0100

> >> all I am asking is whether the
> >>
> >>    Load external
> >>
> >> might reasonably likewise default to a directory in which to expect to
> >> find these external files.
> >
> > It can't because its up to the sources where to put the files. We just
> > adapt to wherever they deign to put things. It is not reasonable to
> expect
> > them to put their output in places specific to GNUmed.
>
> You miss my point.

I fear so.

> The users (or their admin) may have the ability to know
> where their sources consistently place files equivalent to xDT.

OK, I agree.

> This
> location, once known could easily enough be placed in the praxis' .conf files

Indeed. Just like now ?

> (same as how the .conf files currently provide fully defined filenames to the
> xDT files and how the .conf currently points GNUmed to
>
>       ../data/other/
>
> for the CA-MSVA files.

I am still missing your point. Technically I agree with what you say but
I fail to understand its relevance to the workflow within GNUmed ?

> Maybe I am missing the purpose of xDT

"xDT" is nothing but a format definition. The above (part of) a sentence
is much like saying "Maybe I am missing the purpose of PDF".

PDF files as such can live anywhere on storage media. It's only with
workflows or inter-process conventions that they become aggregated in
certain places.

> since I thought they served a simple dual purpose
>
>       allow to export a GNUmed patient record (a portion thereof)
>               in a manner that one (or a group) of praxis managers can import

The xDT *format* is used for that, yes. Current GNUmedly just dumps
the data into ~/gnumed/export/xDT/current-patient.gdt upon request.

This bears no relation to the external data sources except that some
sources share the xDT data exchange format.

>       allow to import into GNUmed a patient record (a portion thereof)
>               from a file construction used by one or multiple praxis managers

That's the operational definition of the external data sources. Some
of those, indeed, use the xDT file format for data exchange.

> Is this any different from AU PracSoft and CA-MSVA.txt?

They are both external data sources NOT using the xDT file format, so,
yes, they fall under the "data source" definition you gave.

> Is not xDT a specific case of the general case, of which CA-MSVA.txt is
> also a part?

It is.

> Are these not the same files (when exported by the praxis manager /
> billing program) as we would target with
>
>       Person > Load external
>
> ??

Yes.

But I fail to see how a "known common directory" will help with this ?

(maybe call it ~/.gnumed/import/external_data_src/ to ease discussion)

Where in the workflow do you see this fit in ?

What do you want to achieve by knowing this ? (in the unlikely case
circumstances allow this to happen)

GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 €/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit