Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:00:30 +0100

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 04:06:43PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> > Strengths of ingredients are available in
> > ref.consumable_substance.amount and .unit.
>
> Ah, here we have opened the door further to an area I want to understand…
>
> I had incorrectly (?) believed that each substance would
> be a distinct molecule,

The table is called *consumable*_substance. It stores
consumable (defined, that is) units of substances (all
substances are potentially consumable hence it would be
redundant to name it consumable_ if it just stored
substances per se). Such units might be called "dose" with
some justification.

> so how are you handling the
> components of a drug that for example may be available ONLY
> as a combination

I am linking the appropriate consumables into the product.